RADNOR, Pa.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Airgas, an Air Liquide company, continues to develop its High School Welding Education Initiative program. For the 2022 school year, 20 returning schools and 16 new schools will participate. These programs were chosen based on four key factors: high unmet need in school; a productive welding program with the potential to train ready-to-use welders; passionate teachers; and enthusiastic local Airgas champions.
Since the high school welding program began in 2012 with a pilot program in Philadelphia followed by a national expansion in 2018, Airgas has helped a total of 70 schools, 2,700 students and over 350 teachers. Participating programs receive a customized mix of hands-on professional development or continuing education training for welding instructors, welding consumables or equipment, safety PPE, and other resources. The program also builds long-term relationships with local education officials and Airgas welding and safety experts. As more and more schools participate in this program, Airgas is attracting increased interest and support from customers, suppliers, government officials and Air Liquide colleagues, resulting from a common interest in stimulating career opportunities and training the next generation of welders.
Congratulations to the 2022 participating schools representing 19 states:
- Anniston High School – Anniston, Alabama
- Nikiski High School – Nikiski, Alaska
- Delta Junction High School – Fairbanks, Alaska
- Page High School – Page, Arizona
- Vista High School – Vista, CA
- North Monterey County High School – Castroville, CA
- Minico High School – Rupert, Idaho
- Keokuk Community Schools – Keokuk, Iowa
- Salina Tech – Salina, Kansas
- George Stevens Academy – Blue Hill, Maine
- Gateway Regional High School – Huntington, Massachusetts
- McCann Technical School – North Adams, Massachusetts
- Taconic High School – Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- Roseville High School – Roseville, Michigan
- Hazel Park High School – Hazel Park, Michigan
- West Branch Rose City Schools – West Branch, Michigan
- Bay Arenac ISD Career Center – Bay City, Michigan
- NRHEG High School – New Richland, Minnesota
- Berlin Regional Career and Technical Center – Berlin, New Hampshire
- Union County Vocational School – Scotch Plains, New Jersey
- Hobbs High School – Hobbs, New Mexico
- Lake Arthur High School – Lake Arthur, New Mexico
- Journeys Soaring Impact School – Cincinnati, Ohio
- Euclid High School – Euclid, Ohio
- Ashtabula County Technical and Vocational Campus – Jefferson, Ohio
- Lima High School – Lima, Ohio
- Benson Polytechnic High School – Portland, Oregon
- Father Judge High School – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Randolph High School – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Providence Career Academy – Providence, Rhode Island
- Veterans Resource Center Welding School – Dallas, TX
- Barbara Jordan High School – Houston, Texas
- PSJA Elvis J Ballew High School – Pharr, Texas
- Indian Trail High School – Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Westosha Central High School – Salem, Wisconsin
- Nathan Hale High School – West Allis, Wisconsin
While the welding industry is currently facing a shortage of skilled labor and STEM graduates, the field of welding is also undergoing rapid transformation and evolution in manufacturing technologies. According to the American Welding Society (AWS), 336,000 new welding professionals are expected to be needed by 2026 and an average of 84,000 welding positions to be filled each year between 2022 and 2025.
Jay Worley, The CEO of Airgas, said: “We are excited to expand and include more schools than ever before in this year’s class of the Airgas High School Welding Education Initiative. Our associates are very passionate about contributing to and advocating for welding education programs in their communities. We are grateful to be able to support the students, teachers and schools who help shape the future of the welding industry.
Airgas®, an Air Liquide company, is a leading US supplier of industrial, medical and specialty gases, as well as consumer goods and related products; one of the largest US providers of security products; and a major US supplier of ammonia products and process chemicals.
Dedicated to improving the performance of its more than one million customers, Airgas delivers products, services and expertise safely and reliably through its more than 18,000 associates, more than 1,400 locations, an -Robust business and telesales channel Airgas Total Access®.
As part of Air Liquide, the world leader in gases, technologies and services for industry and health, Airgas offers its customers an unrivaled global presence as well as cutting-edge technologies and innovations.
For more information, visit www.airgas.com
World leader in gases, technologies and services for Industry and Health, Air Liquide is present in 75 countries with approximately 66,400 employees and serves more than 3.8 million customers and patients. Oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen are small molecules essential to life, matter and energy. They embody the scientific territory of Air Liquide and have been at the heart of the company’s activities since its creation in 1902.
Air Liquide’s ambition is to be a leader in its industry, to deliver long-term performance and to contribute to sustainable development – with a strong commitment to climate change and energy transition at the heart of its strategy. . The company’s customer-centric transformation strategy aims for profitable, steady and responsible growth over the long term. It relies on operational excellence, selective investments, open innovation and a network organization set up by the Group around the world. Thanks to the commitment and inventiveness of its employees, Air Liquide relies on the energy and environmental transition, changes in health and digitalization, and brings more value to all its stakeholders.
Air Liquide’s turnover amounted to more than 23 billion euros in 2021. Air Liquide is listed on the Euronext Paris stock exchange (compartment A) and belongs to the CAC 40, CAC 40 ESG, EURO STOXX 50 and FTSE4Good.