BOSTON – On Monday, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education announced that the state’s mask mandate for all public schools was extended until February 29, 2022.
Elementary and Secondary Education Commissioner Jeffrey C. Riley has informed Commonwealth school districts that he will further expand the mask requirement in all public schools from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
“The mask requirement remains an important measure in keeping students, teachers and staff in the school safe at this time. The Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education, in consultation with medical experts and public health officials, will continue to assess public health data. “
– The department of primary and secondary education
DESE also says school officials will continue to be able to lift the mask mandate if they can demonstrate that at least 80 percent of all students and staff in a school building are vaccinated.
The masking requirement will remain in effect for the following:
- Public school students aged five and over in all classes and staff are required to wear masks inside schools, except when eating, drinking, or during mask breaks.
- All visitors must wear a mask in school buildings, regardless of their immunization status.
- Masks are not compulsory outside.
- DESE recommends that students under the age of five also wear a mask at school.
- Students and staff who cannot wear a mask for medical and behavioral reasons are exempt from the requirement.
- Masks are mandatory for any sport-related activity for student-athletes and indoor coaches.
- Masks should be provided by the student / family, but disposable masks should be available at the school for students who need them.
- All students and staff are required to wear a mask on school buses.
Download the Boston 25 News free app for last minute push alerts
>> Complete vaccine coverage against Covid-19
– Full coverage of local and national coronaviruses here
– Follow us on Facebook and Twitter | Watch Boston 25 NOW
– Download our free apps for your phone and smart TV
© 2022 Cox Media Group